Friday, February 19, 2010

Brighter days

Thursdays usually suck. I am on campus for 10+ hours beginning with office hours and ending with back to back classes. I love meeting students and I enjoy the classes I am teaching (I lucked out with such a great group of students this semester), but teaching for four hours at the very end of a long day just wipes me out. On top of that, I am starving by the time I finish, but it is nearly 9:30pm. I do not want to cook after finishing this day and the only places open here at that time are burger joints or pizza places. Not exactly the type of food that one needs to recover after a taxing day.

Yesterday was perhaps the most beautiful Thursday I have had this semester though. The sun saw fit to break through the clouds in full force, and although the thermometer said it was only 35F, it felt like a spring day. I got to have lunch with my man where we lingered over our meal discussing the day and had a long, wandering walk back to campus sucking up every last ray of sunshine we could. I had to run out to the store midway to pick up supplies for my lab and happened to bump into a good friend at the store. Finally, I had a great class with lots of student participation. We even had a dialogue about dental development (my dissertation topic)!

This great day made me so thankful for all that I have. It also has me eagerly awaiting the return of the farmer's markets. That hint of spring during the day had my mind spinning with longing for the beautiful veggies of spring and summer. Soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment